Sunday, July 20, 2008

Going Stag

I went to the movies by myself yesterday. I found it refreshing, if for nothing else, the confusion it causes other people in the theatre.

My boyfriend is not in town right now and he mentioned several times that he was going to see the new Batman movie, opening weekend, no matter what. Knowing him and his big mouth (he is somewhat of a gossip) I knew he was going to spoil it. I was also feeling somewhat anti-social, so I decided to head to the movies myself.

I bought my ticket, got my drink and snack, and the 13 year old boy ripped my stub (that sounds both kinky and painful). I walked into the theatre, found a seat and sat down. There was a bunch of people in there, but I managed to find an empty section. As time went on and no other person came and sat next to me, I could hear people behind me whispering. "Seriously, is that chick here by herself?" "I would never go to the movies by myself." "That is so weird." I'm sure my smirk over this added to their confusion.

Best part of the whole thing? Whenever I go to the movies with someone else, inevitably some jerk comes by and sits right next to me. Even if the theatre is wide open. It makes me crazy. Sending me completely over the edge is when the boyfriend says, "Oh who cares where people sit? Just let it go and enjoy the movie." No! I can't let it go. Why on earth would you want to sit right next to someone when if you moved up or down one row, you would sit with room on all sides?

Problem solved when you go by yourself. The theatre filled up quickly, but I had at least six seats on either side of me, plus no one in front or behind. Being a weird loner girl strikes fear into people.

Long story, but Batman was excellent, but the satisfaction of knowing people were trying to figure me out was fabulous.

11 comments:

GetFlix said...

It really has to be a film like Batman before I even consider going to the movies. (Where I live, there is driving involved.)

Christie said...

I should try that, I've never gone alone, but I think it would be nice.

PS, I can't stand when I go out of my way to park at the back of the lot, where no cars are, and someone ALWAYS parks right next to me, over the white line, of course, so I have to shimmy into my car.

PPS, They are lucky I didn't slash their tires.

EditThis said...

I enjoy seeing movies on my own, but it's more comfortable to do it during the day than during date night like Fri/Sat. I was in a theater with a guy once, no one else was there, and these two people came in and sat right in front of us. The guy I was with (I was so happy he did it) looked right at them and asked, "Are you fucking kidding me?" They slunk away to other seats down the way. I wish I had the balls to do that.

prettykitty said...

the only time i ever dare venture into a theater alone is at one of those artsy fartsy flicks with ralph fiennes. that way i know it's just me and a bunch of crazy cat ladies.

Deborah said...

HA! Didn't I tell you that going to the movies by yourself is awesome? It feels kind of livertaing not having to worry about the other person or the other people by trying to find enough seats for all of you to sit together.
That plus the excitement from other people trying to figure you out makes you wanna keep your head up higher, don't it?
I saw Batman, too on opening weekend. AMAZING MOVIE!

Deborah said...

By livertaing, I of course mean liberating...

Diane said...

I go to the movies all the time by myself! Well, I don't actually go to all that many movies, but generally when I do, it's alone. Like edit, I usually go during the day, rather than during prime date night time.

Jay said...

I went to a wedding by myself this weekend, holy god! I had to buck up and be brave. Going it alone builds character. I think 95% of people are so terrified of it that even you being alone at the movies made them uncomfortable!

LA said...

I often go to the movies by myself. I don't work on Fridays - the day new movies open - so sometimes I'll hit an early afternoon showing. It's quite nice.

Cristine Alvero said...

I've been doing the same thing myself :)

Cristine said...

Hi! I noticed that my website isn't appearing well just in case you want to read what I think about movies being the movie buff that I also am. Cheers!